Fierté Montréal is pleased to announce the recipients of the five (5) scholarships that were awarded as part of its program to support the excellence of Master’s and Ph.D. students who self-identify as part of the sexually and gender diverse communities (2SLGBTQIA+), and whose research projects focus on the realities of these persons in Quebec.
Two (2) Ph. D. scholarships, worth $4,500 each, were awarded to →
- Valérie Lapointe (she)
Student at the School of Political Studies at the University of Ottawa for: The LGBTQ+ Movement in the Canadian partisan arena: a portrait and analysis of the movement-party relationship from 1960 to 2019.
- Lamiae Bouqentar (she)
Student in Communication at the University of Montréal for: Encountering and forging a queer migratory Arabity in the Montréal context.
Three (3) Master’s scholarships worth $3,000 were awarded to→
- Hugues Lefebvre-Morasse (he/him/they)
Student in Environmental design at Université du Québec à Montréal (UQÀM) for: The Québec Gay Cruising Atlas: Mapping and depiction of anonymous sex meeting sites in the province’s regional towns.
- Ash Paré (they/them)
Social work student, specializing in studies of gender and women at McGill University for: Factors that influence mental health provision for trans, non-binary and gender-diverse persons.
- Fallon Rouillier (they/she)
History student with a concentration in feminist studies at the Université du Québec à Montréal (UQÀM) for: The history of the “Archives Traces lesbiennes” (1983-1993). Conserving and passing on memories.
Congratulations to all five Scholarship Recipients!
The mission of the Montréal Pride Scholarship Program for 2SLGBTQIA+ students in Research at the Master’s and Ph.D. levels, is to support the development of knowledge by and for the communities. The winners will be given the opportunity to share the results of their research with the public and with Montréal Pride partners during specially organised activities.
In 2022, 64 applications were received from students from universities across Canada. We wish to express heartfelt thanks to the members of the jury who evaluated the applications and selected the scholarship recipients. They are:
- Karl Boulanger, L.L.B., lawyer, Torys / member of the Montréal Pride Board of Directors;
- David Carpentier, M.A., Ph.D. student, University of Ottawa / member of the Fierté Montréal Board of Directors;
- Tara Chanady, Ph. D. , Post-doctoral fellow, School of Public Health, Université de Montréal;
- Gabrielle Richard, Ph.D., Associate Researcher, Laboratoire LIRTES, Observatoire Universitaire International Éducation et Prévention, Université de Paris-Est Créteil;
- Oswaldo Gutiérrez Bayardi, M.A., Marketing and Communications manager, Fierté Montréal.